Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Modern "Gathered In" Quilt - and a little disaster

I'm running a little late for Blogger's Quilt Festival, but I have a good reason and I'll share that disaster story in a moment (it has something to do with my 2 year old.)


I'm excited to be teaching a class on my Gathered In pattern in January next year and I wanted to make an updated version to show how different the pattern could look with modern fabrics. Lotta Jansdotta's fabrics were just perfect for a crisp clean look. I also added an extra row of blocks to make it a little bit bigger.


The original quilt featured French General fabrics, which were softer and much more traditional (and also very beautiful.) Then I added a baby sized version to the pattern. You can find the pdf pattern here.


It was fun trying out my newly acquired free motion quilting skills. I was terrified to start, but I have to say I absolutely loved this quilting design (from Angela Walter's book). It was much easier for me than random meandering quilting. Maybe that's because it's the type of thing I'd doodle while on the phone, so it's a more natural action for me. I'll definitely be using this design again.


I love the texture it gives to the quilt and especially the way it fills all of the negative space.


Even though I was in a rush to get this one finished, I'm glad I took the time to add a simple pieced back. I do like a double sided quilt.



So now for the story... I have been really bogged down with moving house while dealing with morning sickness while having sick children for weeks. Well, it finally seemed like things had settled down and I could do a little quilting again. I decided to finish off this quilt (I made a quilt top a while back) so it could be shown at the Adelaide Quilting and Craft Show to advertise my class, but I only had one week to complete it. Well I quilted with gusto whenever the children were asleep! Even when I felt really tired I quilted and was amazed how invigorating it was. After a few days the quilt was nearly finished, just half of the binding to go. Getting a little excited, I decided to finish of the binding while the children played. After a while my little Gracie decided she wanted my attention and came up and told me she had a sore tummy. The thought went through my mind "put it away and focus on your baby - she needs you and you would be devastated if she vomited on your quilt." I wasn't sure if she was sick or not so I said "I'll just finish off this little bit and then we'll have a snuggle, okay?" Next thing I knew she vomited all over the quilt! I couldn't believe it. I was so mad at myself for not listening to that little voice. Fortunately I could pop it straight in the wash and out on the line to dry, and after a quick iron it came out as good as new!

Fortunately Grace is feeling much better too.


Enjoy Blogger's Quilt Festival. There's lots of fantastic prizes (I'm proud to be a sponsor) and boundless talent on show. Thanks Amy for putting on such a great event!

31 comments:

  1. I love your quilt, and it looks great in these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne, aren't Lotta's fabrics just gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous quilt. I know about not listening to the little voice. Good thing it could be washed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! If I hadn't finished the machine quilting I have no idea what i would have done! It would have been ruined. Hopefully I've learnt my lesson and listen next time :)

      Delete
  3. Life with kids is never dull!

    It's gorgeous - beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! They certainly keep things fun :)

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous quilt, and that quilting, wow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really was an easy quilting design.

      Delete
  5. Love your quilt. I too just used that quilting design on two recent quilts and love it on yours as well. So much easier to do. I think because there is a plan unlike meandering. I remember this patter from the Moda Bake Shop and love it in your Lotta fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think having a plan makes it much less stressful to quilt. I didn't know there was a similar pattern in Moda Bake Shop. I really should submit a pattern to them one of these days.

      Delete
  6. Love the quilt and the quilting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my gosh! I've thought about this possibility with my toddlers many times! So glad the quilt made it out ok in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dangerous game quilting around toddlers, that's for sure!

      Delete
  8. Very nice quilt! The quilting looks really good. So glad it was not just in the piecing stage when she vomited. The life of mothers with young ones can be quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - funny thing, the quilt I featured for BQF was also made while I had morning sickness.

      Delete
    2. Quilting's not so much fun when you have morning sickness. I hope your quilts all made it out unscathed!

      Delete
  9. Awww, poor Baby Girl. :( Don't you just hate those Parent Messed Up moments? Fortunately the kids rebound so easily and our love can cancel out those times. LOVE this update, although the French General is so soft and beautiful. At first I thought "Holy smokes!! She pebbled that ENTIRE quilt!" But then I see it's the mum-type doodle flower filling it all in? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and unfortunately I've had a few of those moments, but I'm learning:)

      You make a great point about the pebbled effect. I love the pebbled look, but it would take forever on a quilt this size. The flower pattern is an easy way to achieve a similar look.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful quilt, Kate! And such a funny story to go with it…. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love this quilt! And the story to go with it! I can just see all the moms out there shaking their heads in empathy :) So glad to "find" you...It is such a great aspect of the Festival...must check out all your designs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! Welcome. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment. The festival is a great way to find new blogs.

      Delete
  12. Love your quilt and pattern! Of course I'm a Lotta fan so that is a bonus : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think you could go wrong with Lotta's fabric :)

      Delete
  13. Want to Learn Forex Trading and earn with Forex Business...?? The best Forex Trading Learning Website where you can get any thing about Forex, Trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely quilt, Kate! Hope you are feeling well, and I'm glad Gracie is fine and the quilt came out beautifully after that little bit of trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post. Thanks for sharing this useful information.
    when you start a business then at first you need every business related news. we find a real news that help for your business.
    forex business news, financial news, forex factory news, forex trading

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post. Thanks for sharing this useful information.
    Aim financial news
    AIM Mining news
    AIM Small cap shares
    Blur Group
    Fastnet oil
    Comms plc

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com